Macau has a number of state of the art universities offering world class facilities and renowned and internationally recognised degrees. The following is a list of universities found in Macau in Macau.
Macau University of Science and Technology
This is a university located in Taipa on the Cotai strip. It is a private university established in 2000, which has 598 academic staff and 426 administrative staff. The university has approximately 11 000 students, of which 7700, and 3200 are undergraduate and postgraduate students respectively. The languages of instruction are English, and some Chinese. Faculties at the University include:
- The Faculty of Humanities and Arts- this faculty offers bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees in programmes including arts in journalism and communication, art and design, communication, fine arts, philosophy in communication, philosophy in design, and philosophy in fine arts.
- Faculty of Law- this faculty has many centres including the centre for arbitration and dispute resolution, the legal practice and education centre, and degrees including bachelor of Laws, Master of laws, Juris Master, Master of laws and criminal justice, master of international economic and commercial law, master of international arbitration, and doctor of laws.
- Faculty of Chinese medicine- this faculty comprises of the following: bachelor of traditional Chinese medicine, bachelor of Biomedicine, state key laboratory of quality research in Chinese medicines, bachelor of pharmacy in Chinese medicine, master of traditional Chinese medicine, master of pharmacology in traditional Chinese medicine, master of integrated traditional Chinese and western clinical medicine, doctor of philosophy in Chinese medicine, and doctor of philosophy in integrated Chinese and western medicine.
- Faculty of information Technology- space exploration laboratory, artificial intelligence joint laboratory, smart home laboratory, intelligent transport systems research laboratory, bachelor of science in computer technology and application, electronic and information engineering, or software engineering, master of science in computer and information systems, communication engineering, or space information technology; master in applied mathematics and data sciences, doctor of philosophy in science for computer technology and application, electronic information technology, and space information technology.
- Faculty of humanities and arts academy of film- master of management in film industry, master of film production, PhD of management in film industry.
- School of business- bit was established in 2000 and is divided into 3 departments, namely the department of finance and accounting, the department of management, and the department of decision sciences.
- Faculty of hospitality and tourism management-it was founded in 2003 and was known as the faculty of international tourism. Offers programs in food and beverage management, hotel management, international tourism management,
- School of pharmacy- is a teaching unit of pharmacy aimed at cultivating pharmaceutical excellence, improve drug research and development capabilities.
- University international college- it was established in 2010 and provides degree programs and non-degree programs. It offers a master of teaching in Chinese as a foreign language and short term training course related to chine languages.
- The university also has a number of research institutes namely the laboratory of lunar, and planetary science, and the laboratory for quality research in Chinese medicine, too name but a few.
University of Macau
The University of Macau is a public university located in the east of Hengqin Island. It is a co-educational public research institution established in 1981. The university has over 652 academic staff, and 936 administrative staff. There are more than 10 414 students of which about 7141 are undergraduates and 3273 are postgraduate students. The medium of instruction at the university is English. The university has 7 faculties namely:
- The faculty of arts and humanities-comprises the department of chine language and literature, the department of English, the department of Portuguese, the centre for Japanese studies, the English language centre, the English writing ad communication centre, and also has programs in philosophy and religious studies, translation studies, French, Spanish, Korean and German. Facilities available at the faculty dedicated to student development that include the black box theatre that hosts drama productions and the language labs where students can practice machine aided translation.
- Faculty of business administration- it is the largest faculty at the university and offers several business programs through its four departments namely, the department of Accounting and information management, department of finance and business economics, the department management and marketing, and the department of integrated resort and tourism management.
- The Faculty of Education- the faculty offers bachelor, masters, and doctoral degree programs in Secondary education in Chinese, English and Mathematics, Primary education and Pre-primary education, Educational administration, Education psychology, School Counselling, curriculum and instruction, Physical education, and sports studies.
- The Faculty of Health Sciences- the faculty offers 2 undergraduate, 1 master, and 1 PhD program. The research at the faculty focuses on 8 species.
- The faculty has established state of the art facilities and infrastructure that includes 35 research laboratories, four research centres, and 4 core facilities.
- Faculty of Law- the faculty offers bachelor, masters, and postgraduate certificate programs in Chinese, Portuguese and English language. The faculty members consist of legal experts from Macau, mainland china, Portugal, Austria, Brazil, Italy, India, and Belgium, to mention but a few. Classes are taught in Portuguese since the Macanese legal code is in Portuguese. The aim of the bachelor programs is to prepare jurists knowledgeable with the Macanese legal system. The master and doctorate studies educates knowledgeable, qualified, and competent jurists who are competent to theoretical research and teaching in Macanese law, comparative law, European law, international law, and the international business law.
- Faculty of Science and Technology- this faculty offers 4 year undergraduate programs in the following departments: the department of civil and environmental engineering, the department of computer and information science, the department of electrical and computer engineering, the department of electromechanical engineering, the institute of applied physics and materials engineering, and the department of mathematics. Graduate degree programs in the field of civil engineering, computer science and information engineering, E-Commerce, electrical and computer engineering, electromagnetic engineering, and mathematics.
- Faculty of Social Sciences- the faculty offers bachelors, masters, and doctoral studies. This faculty consists of the departments of communication, economics, government and public administration, psychology, and sociology. Courses offered at the faculty include economics, statistics, econometrics, political science, public administration, contemporary china studies, sociology, communications, journalism and public communication, psychology, and historical and cultural relations between the East and the West.
- Other institutes at the university include:
- The institute of Chinese medical sciences- it was established in 2002 as the first research oriented institute in Macau. It offers degree programs in biomedical sciences, and Master of Science degree programs in Chinese medicinal science, and medicinal administration.
- The institute of Applied physics, and materials engineering- it offers a PhD program in applied physics and materials engineering.
- Institute of collaborative innovation- seeks to encourage multidisciplinary academic cooperation within the university. There is a centre for cognitive and brain sciences, the centre for artificial intelligence, the centre for data science, and the centre for innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Other institutes includes the graduate school, the centre for Macau studies, the Asia-pacific academy of economics and management, and the institute of microelectronics.
University of Saint Joseph
This university was founded in 1996 and was known as the Macau inter-university institute. It is a private university with an estimated 1800 students. It has three campuses in ilha verde, NAPE1 in Se, and the Saint Joseph seminary in sao Lorenzo.
The university offers a broad range of courses in the following:
- Bachelor programs- bachelors of architecture, business administration, Christian studies, communications and media, design, education, government studies, philosophy, psychology, and the bachelor of social work.
- Masters programs- master’s in business administration, community development, contemporary china studies, counselling and psychotherapy, design, education, environmental sciences and management, government studies, history and heritage studies, information technology, literature, and religious studies.
- Doctorate programs- doctorates in business administration, education, global studies, government studies, history, information systems, psychology, religious studies, and sciences.
City University of Macau
It is a private university in Taipa established in 1981 and formerly known as the University of East Asia. Bachelors, masters, and doctoral studies are offered at the university.
It has an enrollment of over 5300 students of which 3800 are undergraduates, 1000 are postgraduates, and about 400 are doctoral students. The university has the following faculties:
- Faculty of international tourism and management- these include bachelor of international tourism and management (in Chinese), service management (in Chinese), bachelor of international tourism and management (in English), and service management (in English), master of service industry management, master of international hospitality and tourism management in English and Chinese, master of hotel management in Chinese, and doctor of international tourism and management in both Chinese and English.
- Faculty of business- bachelors of business administration, both part time and full time, master of business administration in Chinese and English, doctor of business administration in both English and Chinese.
- Faculty of humanities and social sciences- bachelor of social sciences program, bachelor of social work; masters in cultural industries management, applied psychology, and master of social work, all in Chinese, and doctor of applied psychology.
- Faculty of innovation and design- bachelor of arts in design, master of urban planning and design, doctor of philosophy in arts studies in Chinese, and doctor of urban planning and design.
- Faculty of finance-master of science in finance on a full time basis, and in Chinese.
- School of education-master of education, and PhD in education.
- School of law- masters of law program.
- Institute for research on Portuguese speaking countries- PhD in Portuguese-speaking countries studies.
- Institute of data science- doctor of philosophy in data science.