There are various Government, University, and private scholarships that assist students to study abroad in Ghana. These scholarships include:
The West African Research Association (WARA) –this scholarship is funded by the state department and is targeting students who wish to study in West African countries like Ghana. The scholarship offer assistance to those who are studying to complete their Masters and Doctoral studies. It offers a maximum of $2500 for travel and about $3500 for living expenses.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships- the scholarship is also funded by the State Department. These are awarded to undergraduates with outstanding financial need. Up to $7,000 may be awarded per scholarship. It targets mostly the disadvantaged, the disabled, the financially needy, or minorities.
School for International Training. - Sit is a leading study abroad organization that usually offers programs in African countries and Ghana is among them. The SIT Fund scholarship is distributed based on financial need.
MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at KNUST-The award is open for international students who have a desire to study undergraduate degree coursework at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology.
- Eligibility-International students are eligible to apply for the scholarship. It is available for studying any subject area at KNUST.
- Criteria-Students must demonstrate that they have critical economic needs. Priority will also be given to female students, displaced persons, and people with disabilities. Prospective candidates must also have a proven record of leadership in their community.
- Requirements-Applicants must be enrolled at KNUST. They must provide academic certificates, three reference letters, income statements, transcripts, a birth certificate, and proof of English proficiency.
MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Asheshi University-this scholarship is also open for African students who wish to start an undergraduate program at Asheshi University. The Scholarship targets high-potential students and provides financial support for stipends, books, accommodation, and transportation. The application can be done online.
- Eligibility-African students are eligible to apply. It is targeted at Africans from Economically challenged and disadvantaged communities who demonstrate academic excellence and leadership potential.
- Application requirements: prospective recipients have to enroll for a bachelor’s degree program at the institution. They must be able to send relevant supporting documents like transcripts or certificates from your high school. The student must have 5 O’level passes including Mathematics, English, and Science, and at least 3 A-Level passes with grades A to D. The students must be able to prove their English proficiency which is a requirement.