Visa Requirements for Students in Colombia
Visa requirements for students that want to study in Colombia are different for students depending on their citizenship. Select you country below, learn about the relevant regulations and find the embassies and consulates in your country!
1.Step: Select your Country
Study Visa Information for Students from
|Study Visa required|
Embassies and Consulates in for obtaining a Visa
Colombian Now Has Two Types of Student Visas
Colombia changed its Colombian visa rules in late 2017. And these new visa rules went into effect in December 2017. So, a Colombia student visa changed and is known as a Migrant (M) visa of category 9 (an M-9 visa) or as a Visitor (V) visa. Furthermore, if you have an existing TP-3 student visa, it doesn’t change to one of the new types of student visas available.
The M student visa is designed for those studying a degree program, like for a bachelor's degree. The V student visa is intended for non-degree programs like studying Spanish. The M student visa can be for longer than one year depending on the length of studies on is engaged in.
In addition, with the new M-9 or V student visas, you are not allowed to work in Colombia. This is the same as the previous TP-3 student visas. Also, a M-9 visa loses its validity if you leave Colombia for over six months without return.
The cost for the M-9 student visa is around $67 USD. This is higher than the previous TP-3 student visa that costs $55. So, the visa price has increased somewhat for the new student visa.
Note the Visitor (V) student visa for studying Spanish is now reportedly being granted for only for a maximum of six months according to visa agencies with the possible exception of studying Spanish at Universidad EAFIT, which may still qualify for a year-visa.
More so, once you have a Visitor (V) visa you reportedly can no longer apply for another visa while in Colombia. To apply for another visa when you have a Visitor student visa you have to go to a foreign consulate in another country.
How to Apply for a Colombia Student Visa
You can apply for a Colombia student visa online. In addition, you can obtain Colombian visas at Colombian consulates anywhere around the world. The Colombian visa process is fairly easy as it is done online. This application will require scans of all required documents in PDF files plus your photo in jpg format. In addition, a detailed guide for applying online is found here.
After receiving the online visa approval, if doing this in Colombia, you need to travel to Bogota to get the visa in your passport. Or if at another country you can get the visa put in your passport at a Colombian consulate or embassy.
But the biggest challenge with doing a Colombian visa yourself is not benefiting from the experiences of a visa agency, which has processed hundreds of visas and knows exactly what is needed for each type of visa. If you find yourself in any challenge please do not hesitate to contact us here.
Documents Required for a Colombia Student Visa
- Documents required for a student visa are similar to the previous TP-3 student visa:
- Photocopy of the first page of your valid passport where your personal data is displayed.
- Photocopy of the page of your passport with the last stamp of entry or departure of Colombia is located.
- If you have had a previous Colombian visa, a photocopy of this visa.
- Certificate of admission or enrollment to studies of elementary school, high school or higher education in undergraduate school authorized in Colombia.
- Photocopy of certificate of existence and legal representation from the university.
- Authorization of the parents and designation of the person responsible for the student during his/her stay in Colombia, authenticated by a Colombian notary or consul in the case of minors.
- International health insurance policy certificate showing you have an international health insurance policy. This policy should be valid for at least six months to a year since the validity time of your visa is dependent on the validity time of your international health insurance. This health insurance policy should show that it has at least $35,000 USD in coverage for a Visitor student visa and $60,000 USD for a Migrant student visa. We have a separate article that looks at travel insurance that meets this requirement.
- A letter (in Spanish) from the person with economic responsibility for the student guaranteeing the expenses of the student and documents showing economic solvency.
- Passport style face photo with a white background, sized at 3 cm width x 4 cm height, the maximum size of 300 kb jpg file for online application.
Note that the student visa to study Spanish is now known as a Visitor visa.
Having an international health insurance policy is a new student visa requirement in 2020 based on the experience of the visa agency we partnered with. Once you have a visa and cedula, you qualify for Colombia’s EPS health insurance, which is believed will be sufficient for renewing a visa.