We know it is really important to feel at home and have a place of your own to study, that’s why we have a team that is dedicated to helping you find a place to live. Whether you are thinking about coming to study in Albania, are a current student, or just going to be visiting, we can help you with your accommodation options ranging from student hostels to hotel options.
RocApply has dedicated this guide to give you information on the types of accommodation you should expect once in Albania!
All final arrangements of terms and conditions are always made between the students and the landlords. It is in the best interest of both landlord and tenant to have a signed tenancy agreement, in this way rights and responsibilities will be clear for everyone.
Students experiencing difficulties with their landlords may contact their universities.
There are several different types of accommodation for students in Albania. At RocApply we know that accommodation is an essential component of an enjoyable study abroad. This is a good option for students who want freedom and independence.
The apartments in Albania - with fully equipped kitchens and bathrooms - are typically designed according to the Albanian characteristics. You will have more independence and the opportunity to cook your special meals.
Single or double rooms are at times offered in the same apartments. Cooking and chores are usually done by the students themselves. The apartments are mainly without much supervision and are self-catering, but they are close to local amenities like cafes, bars, restaurants, shops, and bus stops. If you are looking for a more independent lifestyle during your study you should meet and interact with other foreign students, student residences/house options are ideal.
A student residence can differ in size depending on location and availability too. These residences usually accommodate students of all age-ranges and nationalities in a house-type location.
The student residences in Albania usually has shared kitchen facilities or cafeterias and allow you to practice your new language with fellow students even away from your classes. Normally there is a reception you can contact if you have any issues or questions.
The accommodation setup is usually as follows:
a) Rental of a bedroom in a 2, 3 or 4 bedroom house with each student having in their own bedroom and sharing the kitchen, bathroom and living area, or
b) Rental of a one, two or three bedroom apartments, or
c) Living with a host family, this is a requirement for language students.
Cost of Accommodation: The average rent usually starts at around USD 375 per month. It is usually inclusive of utilities. The rent charged is usually influenced by factors such as location, type and quality of the accommodation, and other services the landlord may provide; for example, transporting you to College or providing meals.
- Before choosing an apartment or house you need to consider its distance from the college. Your place of residence may require you to travel on public transport. Transport on any public vehicle costs USD 2 per trip. You may have to travel on more than one bus to reach the College.
- We recommended that you look at several properties before selecting your accommodation and signing the rental agreement.
- Some landlords may require a security deposit usually a month’s rent refundable at the end of your tenancy, provided the condition of the property is in the state that you found it when you moved in. The onus is therefore on you to maintain the property in good condition.
- If you would like to have a little more personal space where to stay, accommodation in a hotel could be the best choice for you. But this option is only suitable for short-time stays between 1 and 4 weeks. You could choose from various options, however, all rooms have their bathroom. For hotel bookings, please note that double rooms may only be booked by two scholars traveling together.
- Organize accommodations in advance. Universities here will be able to help foreign-exchange students find accommodation before study abroad begins, ranging from home-stays with Albanian families to single-person apartments. Speak to the study abroad representative at your school or university to see what information they can offer, wait, you can inquire right here for a quick response on any query.
If you are planning to find a place when you arrive in Albania, it is sensible to book a few nights at a hostel before you leave home to give you a base while hunting for longer-term accommodation. RocApply has all the information on hostels in almost every town in Albania, along with photos, independent reviews, and online booking.