Nearly every national who intends to visit Timor-Leste has to get a visa, except citizens of the Schengen Zone, Indonesia, and Cape Verde. Nationals from Indonesia and Cape Verde can visit Timor-Leste without a visa for up to 30 days.
This can be extended once to get an additional 30 days. Citizens of the Schengen States can also stay in Timor-Leste without a visa for a maximum period of 90 days. The rest of the countries need to obtain a visa to travel there.
The main types of visas issued by the Timor Leste government include:
- Timor-Leste Tourist Visa- is a Class I visa issued to visa-required nationals who want to travel for short-term tourism purposes.
- Timor-Leste Business Visa- is also a Class I visa issued to foreign nationals who intend to visit Timor-Leste for short-term business-related reasons.
- Timor-Leste Transit Visa- This type of visa is issued to visa-required nationals in transit through Timor-Leste on their way to another country. It is valid for a maximum of 72 hours. It is a class 2 visa.
- Timor-Leste Student Visa- issued to foreign nationals who want to study in an East Timor educational institution. It is a class 3 visa
- Cultural, Scientific, Sporting, or Media- is Issued to members of the media traveling for work or foreign nationals who are traveling for the aforementioned reasons. It is a class 4 visa
- Work Visa – it is Issued to foreign nationals who have found employment in Timor-Leste.
Visa Application Form can be downloaded from the Immigration Service website or the relevant Embassy website.
The documents you will need to submit for a Timor-Leste Visa application are:
TIMOR-LESTE student visa
To be eligible for or to apply for a Timor Leste Visa the following are a prerequisite.
- must have a passport that is valid for at least six months
- Proof of accommodation in Timor-Leste.
- Proof of sufficient funds to sustain yourself.
- Proof of a return or onward travel ticket.
- Payment for the visa fee.
- Any additional documents that prove the purpose of your stay.
- Have an acceptance letter from the university of enrollment.
- Proof of approved accommodation booking
- Recently taken passport size photographs.
- Routine vaccination certificates.
- Contact details, and next of kin details or those of contact person in case of any emergencies
- Original copy of the Travel Documents (e.g. Passport)
- Proof of admission in a Timor Leste university.