United States of America (USA) Visa Requirements
Foreign nationals require a visa to come into the US for study purposes, student visas are issued to students who have been accepted into a recognized program of study in an approved higher institution.
Student visas are issued depending on the course they select and the university they choose to attend. Long term study options need an ‘F’ visa while short term study options need an ‘M’ visa.
- The student must first be accepted into a SEVP recognized institution in the US
- After the I-20 has been issued by the school, the student is required to register and a fee to SEVIS and present both the I-20 and their SEVIS fee payment receipt at the Embassy or consulate.
- Any other dependents (spouse or wards) also need to obtain separate I-20’s for each of them but do not need to pay the SEVIS fee.
- Complete the online application Form DS-160 and print out the confirmation document
- A passport photo must be uploaded. This passport must meet the photo guidelines provided by US immigration.
- Pay the visa fee which presently stands $160
- Book a visa interview appointment
Attend the interview with the following important documents:
- A valid passport or travel document (valid for up to 6 months)
- Visa Application Form (DS-160) and Confirmation page
- Visa fee payment receipt
- SEVIS fee payment receipt
- Form I-20 (signed and dated with the necessary information by the University)
- Academic credentials; Transcripts, Diplomas, Certificates, and Certifications
- Proof that student plans to return back home after completing their education in the US
- Proof of financial capability for study expenses and living costs for the duration of their program.