Higher education in Mexico follows a similar format to universities in Europe and the United States with bachelor’s degrees taking four years to complete, while master’s degrees last two years and a Ph.D. is three years long. The country’s higher education system was featured as one of the best worldwide in the latest edition of the QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings, ranked 31st.
In regional terms, Mexico accounts for a major chunk of the top universities in Latin American region. Some 63 Mexican universities are feature in the QS Latin America University Rankings 2019, which highlights the top 400 institutions in the region. Only Brazil claims more.
In the last two decades, the student population of Mexican universities has doubled, going from almost 2 million to 4.4 million students! The statistics also apply to international students. More than 30,000 international people choose a degree program in Mexico every year, and this does not include exchange students. Distance education is also very popular since more than 650,000 students choose this type of education.
Tuition Fees at Mexican Universities
Public education is subsidized, so tuition fees at public institutions usually goes from $500USD to $1,000USD for international students. This makes universities in Mexico to be very affordable for prospecting international students. If you choose a private university, you should expect to pay between $5,000USD and $10,000USD on average per academic year.
Here is a list of the best universities in Mexico for international students in 2020:
- ⦁ National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
- ⦁ National Polytechnic Institute (IPN)
- ⦁ Autonomous Metropolitan University (UAM)
- ⦁ Benemerita Autonomous University of Puebla
- ⦁ Autonomous University of San Luis Potosi
- ⦁ Iberoamerican University (UIA)
- ⦁ Autonomous Technological Institute of Mexico (ITAM)
- ⦁ Michoacan University of San Nicolas of Hidalgo
- ⦁ University of Guadalajara (UDG)
- ⦁ Autonomous University of Nuevo Leon (UANL)
- ⦁ The University of Guanajuato
- ⦁ University of the Americas Puebla (UDLAP)
- ⦁ Anahuac University
- ⦁ The Autonomous University of the State of Mexico
- ⦁ Autonomous University of Baja California
Still wondering about what and where to study in Mexico, then let RocApply HELP you, contact us via email or WhatsApp and we will be glad to assist you in making the tough decisions based on our own experience. If you are already sure of the direction you wish to take, then start your application on RocApply to study your desired program at a Mexican university and receive an international degree.