Japan Student Visa Requirements
Individuals coming to Japan for the purpose of study require a student visa. Individuals can apply for a student visa in the Japanese Embassy or Consulate which is available in their home country or country of residence.
After securing acceptance into a university in Japan the next step is to apply for a visa as early as possible, the visa process takes 3 to 4 months so we advise that you prepare adequately and apply accordingly.
There are four enrolment months in Japan, which are April, July, October, and January.
- Acceptance letter from a Japanese University
- Letter of Motivation. Stating why you chose to study at a university in Japan and why you chose your desired program.
- Japanese Language Study Certificate (detailing how long you studied the language, where you studied the language, and the grades you achieved). This document is essential for foreign students who will be studying programs taught primarily in Japanese.
- Educational history (certificates, diplomas, transcripts)
- Employment history for post-graduate students (employment contracts, letter of employment or any other supporting document)
- Health status declaration (health reports, medical certificates)
- Passport copy
- Passport photographs
- Financial sponsorship: Students must present documents from a willing family relative who will unequivocally be supporting their education for the duration of the study stipulated. This sponsor must sign and acknowledge and present a letter of support, bank statements, proof of employment or business ownership, income statement)
For many Japanese schools, the university submits the visa application to the Immigration Bureau in Japan on the student’s behalf. In some other cases, the student would have to submit their own documents personally to the Embassy or Consular in their home country.
After the student application, it takes two to three months for the Immigration Bureau to approve a visa application and issue a COE (Certificate of Eligibility).
Once the Immigration Bureau approves the visa application, the COE would be sent to the student by the university.
Once the student receives the COE, they are expected to carry the document to the Embassy or Consular in their country, proceed to fill the visa application given to them, submit their international passport along with some passport photographs. The Embassy will then issue an actual visa within 3 to 7 days.