In order to drive in Guatemala, travellers can use their country of origin’s license for up to 30 days. Those who plan on staying longer will need to have an international driving permit. In order to rent a vehicle in Guatemala, one needs to be at least 25 years old and have a year’s driving experience.
Guatemala driving tips:
- Drive on the right side of the road
- Always carry your rental documents
- Always have your insurance documents
- Seatbelts are mandatory
- you are not allowed to use a mobile phone while driving unless you have a hands-free system.
- In Guatemala, it is illegal to make right turns while the traffic light is red.
- When entering a traffic circle, you need to yield.
- Always carry your drivers licence.
- Exercise extra caution
- Always carry your passport, visa, and identification documents.
- Be careful when driving at night (though it is not advisable)
Some of the rental agencies in Guatemala include:
Hertz Guatemala Rent A Car- is the first and only car rental company in the country to receive the Green Deal Certification of Sustainable Tourism. Hertz Guatemala Rent A Car currently has 8 locations in the country including at Latam Hotel, Mundo Maya Airport, Camino Real Tikal, Camino Real Antigua, Biltmore Express, Aurorar Airport, Westin Camino Real, and the Main Office in Guatemala City.
They offer a wide range of vehicles for any purpose including pickup trucks with more the space, power, and durability, minivans and passenger vans with extra room for people, luggage, or cargo and can seat up to 7 and 15 passengers, and Cargo vans ideal for transporting bulky items that may not fit in a personal vehicle.
Travellers can enjoy the variety of economic and business vehicles and can choose to their likingCargo vanm rental can cost as little as $46 per day.
Renta Autos Guatemala Rent a Car- this is a car rental agency with its headquarters in Guatemala city. It has rental locations in Guatemala city, Zona 9, San Christobal, La Aurora International Airport, Zona 13, Nueva Agencia Peten, La Antigua Guatemala, Zona 15.
Travellers can rent a car for as little as $35.99 a day, and $242.16 per week. The fleet is made up of compact, economy and business class vehicles, 4x4s, pickup trucks, minivans, and refridgerated vehicles, to mention but a few.
The Airport agency opens from 0530am to 2100 pm, the Zone 13 Agency opens at 0600 am to 2000 hours. Other offices open from 0800 am to 1800 hours from Monday to Friday, and from 0800 to 1300 hours on Saturdays. The Antigua Guatemala office is close on Sundays and Holidays.
Requirements- The Credit Card Holder has to be present to sign the rental agreement to collect the car.
- personal checks or cash are not accepted.
- Valid Drivers license require.
- The driver must be at least 25 years of age. Additional insurance is available for clients of 25 years old and older than 21 years.
- The driver must show his/her identity card and passport.
- The one day rental includes 200 Km. the extra Kilometer cost Q. 1.°°
- The rate includestaxes, insurances and free mileage when the rental agreement is for more than one day.
- Theft and collision- The insurance covers property damages, damages to a third party up to $6 500, and injuries of the passengers of the vehicle inside Guatemala territory.
Budget Car Rental - Budget car rental is located in Guatemala City Zona 9, Aurora International Airport, and Antigua Guatemala. Whether you are travelling for pleasure or business, Budget allows you to enjoy every mile of your trip.and a wide range of car classes including:
Compact class cars – which are most often chosen for low-cost travel, Compact class cars can significantly save money on both rental charges and on fuel. The compact car is one of the most popular rental with Budget customers.
Special Utility Vans (SUVs) – these offer the best experience on open road and even in the country side. These include Pickup, Jeep, and 4x4. These cars have a spacious trunk and a high level of comfort.
5-7 seater vehicles – these are suitable for a larger crowd. They provide convenience especially for a group of friends. Students can pool their finances and hire a 5 seater for a great weekend out.
Budget Car Rental also offers Economy cars, intermediate, mini cars and 9 passenger vans
You can now book and reserve a Car directly through RocApply.