Jobs for Students in Canada

Student Jobs in Canada

Students are allowed to work part-time jobs while studying in Canada, many establishments require personnel for a range of jobs. Students are only allowed to work 20 hours a week in Canada, for a total of 80 hours in a month.

Furthermore, students can work longer hours during holidays and summer for 40 hours a week, totaling 160 hours in a month. Minimum wage is 14 CAD per work hour.

The first step for students interested in applying for part-time jobs is to gather the necessary documents like social security details (SIN number), study permit, bank account details, and student ID from their university. Employers request for these items before they consider a student as employable.

As a student, most part-time jobs, in regards to how they pay and how easily accessible they are to international students, fall in 3 categories; Unskilled jobs, Skilled or licensed jobs, blue-collar or digital service jobs.

Unskilled jobs include jobs in restaurants, hotels, convenience stores, supermarkets, lounges, bars, cleaning jobs, cashier jobs, food delivery services, etc. These jobs do not require any previous experience and readily available for students to pick up.

Students earn up to 16 CAD per hour (without tips), but this kind of jobs are heavily work-intensive and very demanding as there is a lot of work and concentration involved.

Skilled or licensed jobs include jobs in security outfits, manufacturing companies, and factories. They usually require a licensing certificate which usually cost about 400 CAD to acquire.

These jobs are usually guaranteed, and there is some form of job stability. Digital service jobs like UBER, a digital transport service has become very common amongst foreign students looking to make good cash.

With a good investment of a car, these jobs are very lucrative as many Canadians use digital transport systems because of their ease and how modern they are.

These jobs are not conventional and work times are dependent on the drivers, so students can work more without the 20 hours a week restriction.

Students need a valid drivers license from their home country or secure a new one in Canada (G1, G2).

There are also Co-op and internship jobs available in some programs as part of their educational curriculum, the university permits a co-op work permit that allows students to work full time and also get paid for it.

There are also volunteer jobs that are not financially based but allows the student to build a good networking circle, presenting them with the opportunity to connect with many key players in their fields or career path.

Students can submit their cv’s or resume to these establishments either online or walk-in and present their resume’s in person, which has actually proven to be more effective in securing employment in Canada.


How RocApply Works