There are a number of private and public hospitals available in Brunei. These cn offer stte of the art facilities and services to assist patients in need of healthcare. Most private hospitals are costlier than public hospitals. Let us briefly look at some of the hospitals available in Brunei.
Jerudong Park Medical Centre (JPMC)
Jerudong Park Medical Centre (JPMC) is a private specialist hospital in Brunei. It is the major private hospital in Brunei which mainly provides specialised healthcare services. It is located in Jerudong, about 20 kilometres from Bandar Seri Begawan.
- services- laboratory, operating theatre, diagnostics imaging, pharmarcy, ambualance,
- Clinics- outpatient clinic, dental clinic, obstetrics and gynecology clinic, orthopedics clinic, paediatrics, and reproductive medicine clinic.
- Facilities- fitness centre, cafeteria and bakery, parking, surau.
Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital
This is the main referral hospital in the country which is situated about 0.8 km from the heart of the capital, Bandar Seri Begawan. it was officially opened on the 28thof August in 1984 and is equipped with modern, cutting-edge medical technology. It showed a total of 314 092 outpatient attendance per year, 28 198 inpatient admissions per year, and a 72% bed occupancy rate.
- Facilities-As of 2005 the Hospital had 523 beds,6 main blocks including the Ward blocks, the Specialist Clinics block, the Plant and Engineering block, the Outpatients and State Lab block, Sports Complex and Transport Complex with jetty and helipad facilities.
- Personel- 3498 employees including 257 Doctors, 981 Nurses, 7 Pharmacists, 39 Scientific Officers, 2 214 Support Staff
- clinical specialties/ departments- Medical Services Department, Surgical Services Department, Women and Children Department, Critical Department, Diagnostic Services Department, Accident and Emergency Department, Internal Medicine Department, Psychiatry Department, Nephrology Department, Dermatology Department, Radiology Department, Pathology Department, General Surgery Department, Orthopedic Department, Anesthetist Department, Obstetric and Gynecology Department, Neurosurgery Department, Orthohinlarynglogy Department, Ophthalmology Department, and the Oral Maxillo Facial (OMF) Department.
Suri Seri Begawan Hospital- is a government hospital located in Kuala Belait, Brunei. Established in 1972, it is the second largest hospital in Brunei, which accommodates 183 beds. Suri Seri Begawan Hospital is the main public healthcare facility for the residents in Belait District. Phase I of the project has been completed as has seen the commissioning of a modern Operation Theatre Suite and 16 private rooms. The new Out-patient and Casualty section has facilities including minor operation theatre for managing acute trauma patients as well as other emergencies requiring immediate resuscitation.
- specialist services: Internal medicine, General surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Oral and maxillo-facial surgery, Anaesthesia, Dentistry, Ear, nose and throat, Dermatology, Psychiatry, Intensive care unit, Special care baby unit, Physiotherapy, Occupational therapy; and, Other support services, Renal services.
- Investigative services include- A modern clinical laboratory, Blood bank andRadiologist services
- These are facilities for- Non-invasive cardiac assessment, and Gastrointestinal endoscopy
Pengiran Muda Mahkota Pengiran Muda Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah Hospital
It is a government hospital in Tutong District, named after Al-Muhtadee Billah, the Crown
Prince of Brunei.. It is situated in Bukit Bendera near the district town of Pekan Tutong. The hospital was opened in 1997 and can accommodate 138 beds. It is the only hospital in the district and one of the few in the country.
Healthcare services- outpatient, accident and emergency, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology, physiotherapy, psychiatry, general surgery, dental clinic, ear, nose and throat clinic, eye clinic, physiotherapy, occupational therapy and inpatient wards.
the Hospital is also officially accredited as a teaching hospital by Pengiran Anak Puteri Rashidah Sa'adatul Bolkiah Institute of Health Sciences which is the country's medical school, under Universiti Brunei Darussalam.